Dental Cleaning vs. Dental Exam. What’s the difference?
Even if you brush well and floss daily, calculus (also known as tartar) can still form on your teeth. If you put off cleanings because you think you do a good job brushing at home, please reconsider. Only a hygienist or dentist can determine your risk for gum disease, and since we’re talking prevention, schedule to make cleaning a priority!
A cleaning is multi-functional and typically performed by a Registered Dental Hygienist. Our hygienists work to remove deposits around your teeth and gums that can lead to gum disease and other illnesses. Annually they perform periodontal probing to help ensure your gums are healthy and to monitor for any disease progression. Our hygienists can also screen patients for any abnormalities, they reviewing a patient’s oral health history and teach appropriate brushing and flossing techniques. During your routine dental visit, our dentist performs an examination at some point during your routine visit that will cover:
- Check teeth alignment, and screen for any functional problems you may have like trouble chewing
- Screen for cavities and other structural tooth problems, this is where annual bite-wing x-rays help detect what may be happening between the teeth and underneath the gums
- Check for signs of oral cancer by assessing for sores, discolorations or other symptoms inside your mouth
- Check your head, neck, and jaw for any abnormalities
- Screen for other conditions that may be present in your mouth, like vitamin deficiencies, or discoloration of the gums
We use the latest in dental technology to diagnose and treat any oral conditions you may have. Benefits of your routine “check-up and cleaning” are simple: whiter and stronger teeth over time, prevention of disease and of course fresher breath!
Have a fear of coming in to see us? Don’t worry. Many people experience anxiety about having to come in for a visit. For your comfort we offer conscious sedation dentistry to make the experience more peaceful for you if needed.
Schedule Your Next Dental Appointment Today!
Drop us a line!
Tuesday: 7am- 3pm
Wednesday: 7am- 5pm
Thursday: 7am- 3pm
Friday: By Appointment
Saturday, Sunday: Closed